Wednesday, November 11, 2009

It is so beautiful outside and I am.......Sick.......(sigh).


It is sunny out, has been for awhile now. I am stuck inside quarantining myself from all others except Meg. This November has been a beautiful month(so far) and the last four days I have felt horrible. I should be outside cramming in as many hours of riding, pole running and climbing, but no, I am sick. It seems that everyone around me has, or had some sort of illness.... oh no, cough, sniffle H1N1! Sneeze..H1N1! Headache? probably safe to say H1N1. Come on for real? Everyone thinks they had the "swine flu". There are still just as many other illnesses jumping around as there has ever been and most people who think they have had H!N! probably didn't. They like me probably were just sick with the "common cold" or maybe they happened to eat too much dinner at the Mandarin last night( possible they forgot or something) whatever, from what I have read about the H!N! is that the people that did have it felt like they were about to die. I am not ranting at anyone in particular, just the public in general.

Anyways enough about that, on a more positive note, Collingwood is great! Over the years I have lived and traveled to some cool locations. I have been all over the map, some stops for a quick visit, others for an extended period. I however have not every lived in Collingwood. I have spent a wee bit of time exploring the area in years previous, but nothing too extensive. Since moving here 4 weeks ago, I have ridden a pile of the roads(sick) ran a mountain of the trails(also sick) and climbed at a few locations that I have never been to(super sick x3).

From my door I can jam 1400ft of vertical ascent on pavement, or dirt (whatever you choose) in the first 30min of a ride! I have not ridden anything over a few hours, but I can only imagine the loop possibilities when I will venturing out over 3 hrs(I can hardly wait). I am still hammering the pole running in full force, I have just recently decided that these not too often "beautiful fall days" are meant to be enjoyed on me bike. Pole running can wait until I get into the sloppy time of year(and the lazy, note: I don't really like cleaning my bike). I have only had a couple days out on the rock this fall(also a sigh) I was really hoping to get out and climb some fantastic limestone more than just a handful of days. I am also pumped for a possible ice year(ya that's right,, ice baby!). Last year I climbed no ice..But.. this year, All the ice!

Gotta run, the kettle is boiling,, time to make some more tea(cheesy, but unfortunately true).

Peace.

2 comments:

pg said...

ah stay off your bike you say ... stick to your guns you must ... hhhm !

totally agree on the swine flu overshadowing and magnifying every possible illness ... in some cases self perpetuating illness !


Get well ... a whole bunch of pole running in the near future i am stoked

PG

Unknown said...

Hi Eric, I found your blog through one of your teammates'.

On the Hini, i too had the pleasure. When I saw the doctor, he said that the H1N1 strain of flu has become so prevalent that if you have any flu symptoms at all, you should assume H1N1, especially if the symptoms have shown up in your chest. According to him, it would be weird to have a regular flu this season.

However, I totally agree with you about the media hype machine ... it's stressful when every little tickle sets off the H1N1 alarm. Plus it's no fun being treated like a leper. On the other hand, another doc said that H1N1, like regular flu, affects everyone differently. For some reason, young, fit people with healthy immune systems are a favourite, so if you get it you should be flattered I guess!

Just thought I'd share the medical advice I got, and wish you all the best for your recovery. Sitting out sucks. Wash your hands :)

KL