Monday, June 1, 2009

Great Weekend.

This past weekend was the Trek Store Canada Cup at Hardwood Hills in Ontario. It was our third stop on the National Racing circuit. Saturday started with a "Meet and Greet the Trek Store Toronto Team" with myself and fellow teammates Adam, Emily, Peter and Mical. We went out for a couple of pre-ride laps with Ontario's up and coming talent, most of whom were racing the next day. We followed the ride up with a little autograph session and chatted with most. It was a fun day and really great to see the amount of young riders that we have riding so strong at such a young age.

Sunday I had a fairly solid race. I have been sick for the last two weeks and was very anxious for this event. After having a really bad day at Mount Tremblant I was in need of a solid ride. I was still not 100% but close enough. I had a plan to just go out, have fun, and "wing it". The first 3 of 5 laps went by rather quickly, I was in the top 5 ish group right from the start of the race and felt like my legs were going to cooperate today. Starting the 4th lap making a much needed "pass" I had to go "in the rough" and squeeze by a uncooperative lapped rider, doing that I torqued my chain and bent it pretty bad, I thought that it was going break. Now with Hardwood being such a fast race course, if my chain were to break and if I had to take the time and stop and fix it, I would have been gobbled up pretty quickly. I just prayed that it didn't break on me. I also had to be super careful on my pedaling and make sure I was making "bang on shifts". I lost the use of my big ring, I found out the hard way that a bent chain likes to jump off your big ring and trail behind you! Anyways a bent chain is still faster than a broken chain, you just have to be really careful. In the end the Trek store ended up having a really solid day out with the men taking 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th and the Woman taking 1st and 3rd. Props goes out to Cam, Adam, Peter, Mical and Emily for given'er. I ended the day with a 5th place and bit of relief that I am not sick anymore.

1 comment:

Colleen said...

Hello Eric: It's Nan. Yeap that's right. I've got technical and learning the computer. HAHA.

Good Luck with your races and have a safe trip home. Come visit again with Megan.

Lov Nan.